[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Earl Baugh geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 14:53:02 CDT 2001

>Yeah but it's hard to find those $100k+ positions without
>certification - even with 10+ years of experience.  (Hell, at the
>moment I'm having problems finding a $50k position that I don't have
>to drive 2hrs+ to do.)

I'm surprised by this.  (Though, perhaps it's "location, location,
location"......I'm in Atlanta which I like, but perhaps it's
not conductive to others)
.
Let me qualify by saying that I've got an opening for someone who
understands Solaris (and Sun's) WELL, can do
evaluations at customer sites (i.e. go there and spend the day or so it
takes to understand their network and computer
architecture enough to know how our software would fit...it shouldn't be
that hard, I know I can do it in a day in most cases)
and then help do the "packaging" of our software, and probably be the one
to write/maintain the install guide
(and the "sys-admin" level trouble shooting guidefor our software).  This
person also gets to be the  manager of IT
for the company (2 other junior admin's are already here, so it's not like
you're a 1 person shop)
BTW, Both of these tasks jobs aren't more than 1/2 time at worst...and
we're talking a 40-45 hr week.
And the compensation would be way more than $50K, (though wouldn't top
100K+...but it may be close).

This all said, I can't find someone competent to fill the position, or even
be really interested.   The folks I talk to
either are A) Green as can be, B) Have decent experience but don't want to
work at a place that doesn't have hundreds of Suns.
( We've got 3 E450's, and 18-20 Ultra2's, so we're small but have some
"reasonable" boxes....SunBlades will be
on our list once I see 4 proc models) or C) Just want to deal with "big web
farms of machines".

I know that if I was still Sys-Admin'ing (as opposed to that just being a
hobby for me on my home network now...)
I'd find this as a great opportunity.   But nobody else does.  Go
figure.  It's amazing in general how many folks
we interview here that don't even have basic Comp-SCI 101 skills......guess
I'm just part of a lost generation..8-)

Earl