[geeks] WTB: digital camera

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 11:16:10 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:02:28AM -0500, Reagen B . Ward wrote:

> What my wife and I did was invest in a decent slide/negative scanner.  If
> you can keep your environment rather dust free, you can get really good
> digital images of your quality pics.  The Canon I use is 2710dpi, which
> seems to be sufficient.  We also have an Olympus digicam, but SLR wins.

i've always been tempted by those.  but i like to snap, download, crop, put on
web site in one fell swoop for what i do. (photo documentation of computers)
so there is a definite advantage for me to have a purely digital rig.

> Keep in mind, however, that amazing photos are taken by talented
> photographers every day using terrible cameras with nasty optics.  Also,
> terrible photos are taken by bad photographers on $20,000 rigs.  A good
> photographer makes the difference.

i think this is more true of the "art photo" genre than it is the "technical
photo" genre.  it is physically impossible to get a good close up with my HP315
i don't care how good you are.  it's a mechanical limitation of the camera.

i'm the guy who would take terrible photos with the $20,000 rig, so i'm not
looking to compensate for my lack of photographic skill, just to have equipment
that can at least do what is required. :)

cheers,

-brian