[geeks] scifi and TANKS

D.A. Muran-de Assereto geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 00:41:00 CDT 2001

Feintuch started out well, except that the series inevitably reminded me
of the Piers Anthony Tyrant series. Same lugubrious tone, same generally
insecure lead character. My tastes may be simplistic, but I find that
aura of insecurity somewhat boring after a while.

Love Spider Robinson. Even his non-Callahan stuff.

Simon R. Greene has an interesting SF series called the Deathstalker
Sage; it's a little tongue in cheek at times, but never as broad as Retief.
Interesting stories. His Hawk and Fisher fantasy stuff is OK, too.

Aside from purely military-related science fiction, I really liked
most of Mike Resnick's books. My personal favorites are
Walpurgis III, Santiago, the Dark Lady, and Ivory. Avoid his
anothologies at all costs -- he gets stuck editing the "Alternate
whatever" series.

It's a shame; when I moved back to Miami from Puerto Rico, most of my
bookshelves got trashed and so my collection is still in packing boxes.
I'm in the process of replacing them, but real wood bookshelves are
expensive.

Dave
"TODM"