Jon's Integrity (was Re: [geeks] Etiquette)

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 04:20:57 CDT 2001

Peter,

A few years ago I was involved in a training accident while I was still in
the Air Force. Being loyal and trusting (yeah right), I trusted the medical
officer who told me 'ahh, it's just a severe sprain. Stay off it for a few
weeks and you'll be fine'. Biggest mistake... well okay, one of the biggest
mistakes of my life.

Fast forward two years. Our intrepid hero (that's me in case you weren't
following closely) is walking down Second Avenue in Manhattan, looking at
all the pretty women, when BAM!!!! I'm sucking concrete. My left leg had
literally collapsed under me. My first thought was that someone had shot me
(that's how bad this hurt) or something like that, but no, my leg just
decided to collapse.

Anyway I go to the hospital, and after 4 hours of waiting I finally get to
see someone. They do an X-ray, and then after two more hours an MRI because
there was a free slot on the machine (normally it takes a weeks advance
appointment). It turns out I've had 60% degeneration of the cartilage in my
left knee, along with some bone and ligament damage, and nerve damage. That
'Severe sprain' from a few years back was actually a dislocated patella with
some torn ligaments and ruptured cartilage. Had I been treated properly
then, there would have been little permanent damage, but because I never
recieved proper treatment, my knee had jsut been getting worse and worse.

The prognosis I got from the doctors was bleak. THey said I wouldn't walk
for six months, and even then I'd need a knee brace and walk with a limp for
the rest of my life, and that I may need crutches for up to a year. They
also told me I'd never run, ride a bicycle, jump, or work out again. They
also said I'd probably need a knee replacement within 10 years.

That was two years ago. Later today I have a trypout for the Dublin Rebels
semi-pro american football team.  I was actually walking within two weeks
(with a cane and brace) and I was mostly back to normal within six months. I
walk without a limp, and usually without pain, although I carry around with
me this nice natural barometer. The only real problem I have is if the leg
is in the same position for a long time (plane trips, long car rides, movie
theaters) it starts to hurt like a son of a bitch and stiffen up.

It just goes to show you, you should never listen to what the doctors say
about your bodies (and you minds, and hearts) ability to heal itself.

Chris Byrne