[geeks] Etiquette

Jody Stephens geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 28 14:30:45 CDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 01:12:02PM -0500, Amy wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>
> > No, this isn't the right forum, but what the hell.
>
> who died and gave you the right to make the rules, katz?
>
> > Keep in mind that English Majors... have looser morals
> > than most.
>
> really. this has got to be the stupidest (and most untrue) stereotype you
> have ever thrown out, bar none.

I'd argue that this is his most "untrue" stereotype. Many
of the native english majors around the bookstore (some
350 employees, probably %20 are english or liberal arts
majors or dropouts) exhibit similar behavior. Not that I've
got cold hard statistics to back this up, just a utterly
subjective observation, no need to break out the flame-
thrower. And keep in mind that I'm just talking about
the local sample I have of english majors, so maybe
only the "loose moral" type of english major will hang out
with me.

Well as to the English Majors in question... Jon is entirely correct.
If we define morals in a more victorian sense (drinking,
smoking, other illict drugs, extra-marital sex) then he's
making perfect sense. And I probably should not have let
them meet, things get *complicated* :)

Uhmmm... friend-2 expresses to me that I should go to college
not really for the classes, but because it's err... conducive
to having a lot of sex and drinking a lot (preferably both
at the same time (well not concurrently (that's kind of
weird))).