[geeks] Etiquette

Jody Stephens geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 28 10:34:20 CDT 2001

I'm not entirely sure if this the right forum, buti, man, I'm still
utterly and completely lost here.

I Want A Modern Emily Post

	I've just moved in with a good friend (so as to protect the innocent,
hereafter referred to as friend-1) who to complicate matters is female. On
the night in question another friend (again for the same reasons, friend-2,
male) comes over. So as is our normal behavior they start talking about
literature (they both being english majors). I, again as normal, generally
get lost (Them:"You're a closet de-constructionist!", Me:"I'm a what?!")
So in preparation of an early morning, I tell them I am going to bed.
Friend-2, who works in the same location as I do, asked me to wake him
so that I could give him a ride to work.

	So I wake up and go to wake friend-2 up. Thinking that friend-2
would be occupying the spare bed, I check the spare bed. Negative. The
geography of the house is such that friend-1 does not have a door, so
I peek in to see if he is there. And oh how he is there. Quiet aftermath
of the most sticky form conversation. Sheesh.

	So what am I supposed to do? Do I force myself to overcome my
innate shyness, and wade into that seething greenhouse of love (I exaggerate)
to wake him? And how, exactly, am I to wake him? Yell at him? Shake him?
Is he going to be embarrassed? Is friend-1 going to be annoyed if I, as
a side-effect, wake her? If I don't wake him, will he wake up early
enough to get to work? Is he relying on me to be an alarm clock for
him? If I do wake him, how long will he take to prepare? I, as opposed
to him *need* to be to work at a certain hour. So I've got all
these questions careening in my head early in the morning before
I've woken up or had coffee. This situation is entirely new, novel,
interesting to me but not the thing I want to deal with such an early
hour. I must have missed the queue for the Manual-O-Life when I was
born.

How did I get out of this sticky situation? (<grin>) Well I just up
and left, laughing myself all the way to work. So what the hell was
I *supposed* to do?

Postscript
I got to work, though I do not have apropos(1) command in my head
I do have apropos(1) on my dorkstation.

[jodys at thirst jodys]$ apropos waking
QWaitCondition [qwaitcondition] (3qt)  - Allows waiting/waking for conditions between threads
[jodys at thirst jodys]$ apropos wake
apmsleep             (1)  - go into suspend or standby mode and wake-up later
[jodys at thirst jodys]$

And that ain't no help at all.
--
                Jody Stephens -- (303)322-1965 x2608
                      jodys at tatteredcover.com
                     Tattered Cover Book Store
                          1628 16th Street
                         Denver, Co. 80202
                       (303)322-1965 Offices
(303)436-1070 LoDo Store         (303)629-1704 Office and LoDo Fax
(303)322-7727 Cherry Creek Store (303)399-2279 Cherry Creek Fax