[geeks] Clerks and Cars

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 08:51:55 CDT 2001

I did a few dusters and cudas and I liked them all. The thing to look for
though (take it from hard-fought experience) is the 340. The 340 hangs together
better when things start to stretch and is meant for what you want to do. I had
an original 340 6-pack in a baracuda and it took a righteous beating and kept on
ticking (err.... no ticks actually, it actually ran as smooth as an engine can
when using a lumpy camshaft). Save yourself the grief and stick with Carter
carbs. For some reason Holly's just like Chevy's better. My fav was the Carter
Thermoquad (ok... no laughing, I know its a grannycar 4bbl, but when massaged
properly its an excellent set of lungs for a wedge-head motor). The 340 also
has mucho better heads. Better/bigger/smoother/straighter ports and big
suckin-gas_and_haulin-ass valves. They work real nice-like with a lumpy cam.

I would really look for a 383 for your beast. The weight of that tank could use
the big block ooomph and torque. Like the 340, the 383 was Mopar's
built-for-racing engine.

Now... please don't hate me for saying this, but you have no idea how hard "me
and the boys" used to laugh at 4-door muscled cars (notice I didn't say muscle
car). Except, of course, for that one 71 Nova 4dr sleeper that roasted my
factory 4bbl 318 duster! I swear there was no visual or audio clue that the
Nova had an early 60's 401 buick clamshell motor under the hood. It even had
granny's houndstooth-check vinyl bench seats and the original prndl on the
steering column. That dude got to enjoy all the laughs that night (what is that
saying about last laughs?). He also go to enjoy $200.00 of my very hard
earned cash (big money back in the day).

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> Yes, and no.  I've checked Hemmings for a few months - but most of what's
> listed as whole cars are restored mid to late '60s Satellites.  Those are
> the more desireable ones small with big engines - the '70s versions grew by
> an order of magnitude (in size and weight), while the engines shrank.
>
> To me, Hemmings always seemed to be a publication more geared for concourse
> restorations than hot-rodders.  My Satellite is going to be a hotrod with
> too much power (is there such a thing).  I'll be keaping the 318 - but bored
> and stroked to about 360 with a Vortech supercharger.  Rather than the ugly
> brown it currently is, I've been toying with painting it Plum Crazy, or a
> dark metalic blue.
>
> Kurt
>

> > Umm.... you did check Hemmings Motor News, didn't you?

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!