[geeks] learning spanish

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 15:53:49 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:19:52PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Here in white-boy land, fajita nad taco are tow seperate, distinct dishes:
>
> 	Fajita comes in kit form, with too little meat
> 	and too many peppers
>
> 	Taco comes in a hard (crispy?) shell, and slowly
> 	becomes a taco salad as the meal progresses

Bill, hows this for a new text to quoted text ratio?

Err, over here in Amish country, tacos also come in soft shells.  Can't
remeber the last time I had a fajita though...

In addition to Taco Bell (decent for fast food, but bad as mexican) and
Chi Chis, we also have a place called El Serrano's (haven't been there
yet, even though it has been around for years), and a small chain called
Carlos & Charlies.  Carlos & Charlies is really good, and compares fairly
favorable to the cooking from Costa Rican, Texan, and unknown origin
hispanic friends (if it doesn't come up, I usually don't ask where their
family is from).  Plus, there are spanish groceries everywhere.

The nearby city (about third size of Pittsburg I think) has a hispanic
majority.  One benifit (to make a perhaps racist comment) is that music
from passing cars of the really loud stereo variety is a much nicer salsa
type stuff rather than those stupid Rage rock bands and gangsta rap
groups that the black and white kids tend to blast.

Of course, if you leave town and head south, you get a lot of
rednecks.  For variety, I went to a demo derby with a pretty (and
conservitive) girl.  I made the mistake of taking my sisters Jetta.  In
the traffic jam trying to get out, I spent a long time sitting in front of
this mini monster truck with a large bull horn in the grill.  Seems he
doesn't care for the type of uppity people who would drive a german car in
his territory, and he expressed it in, shall we say, embarrasingly course
language.

--
Joshua D. Boyd