Keyboards (was Re: To whoop Ken's ass (was: Re: [geeks] Trade U30 for G3 mac B&W ?

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 16:44:43 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:59:46PM -0500, Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> 	I've considered getting the adapter, but I prefer to learn how to be
> comfortable on the slighty different Sun keyboard layout. Do the new Type 6
> (are those the USB ones on the Blade 100?) keep the Type 5 style Control/Caps
> arrangement among other things?

Type5/6 come in both variety.  one of the reasons i'm looking to pick up a new
spare Type5c is that the spare one i have is setup with the "PC" key mapping
and it drives me absolutely insane when i actually need to use it (i've got a
sparc1 with dead serial ports and can't get a serial console on it.  my solution
to the problem is to avoid using the blasted thing, but every once in a while
i find need to fire it up, and i have to use that horrible keyboard)

> 	And has anyone seen a Sun keyboard start inserting "," or " " when
> hitting the shift keys? It was a new clean keyboard, hate to chunk it only
> after 2 months. (Type 5)

nope, can't say i have seem that, but when they go bad they tend to do weird
stuff like that.

> 	Oh, and how do you know if a optical mouse works? Does the light on the
> bottom turn on when connected? Do I have to configure the box to work with it?
> I want to find out before I invest time into getting myself the pad for it.
> (Again, Type 5)

it's IR, so you won't see any light come out of it.  if i had to take a guess
i'd say it works.  these things are really hard to kill unless badly abused, and
then they usually show signs of the abuse.

-brian