[geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 10:17:16 CDT 2001

>There was a brief discussion of the Frankenmac and it
>got me kind of interested. Someone seemed to imply
>that the term is kinda old. Is that true and how
>(obsolete?)
>From what I gather a Frankenmac is an upgraded G3.
>Does that mean it is all pretty standard stuff or are
>the cases modified? Can they be upgraded to the latest
>G4 that supports Altivec? Is this the budget way to go
>or is it cheaper in the long run to get a stock G4?
>Sorry so many questions. If only are few are commented
>on I will be grateful. Any pictures?
>
>Bill
>Amsterdam, NL
>(Thinking of adding a Mac to the present collection of
>Apollo's and P166MMX.)

A frankenmac is basically a mac that is no longer stock.  Bill's is a
PM7600? with a g3 chip, an IDE controller/HDD so that the only
original equipment left is the case and the motherboard.  I have a
similar scenario with my PM8500.  I've also seen REAL frankenmacs
where you have a mac motherboard in a PC case with all the slots
filled with add on stuff to make it look like a PC but it isn't. (I
have a book on how to hack a Mac II into an AT tower case if anybody
wants I can scan some pictures in)  The term originates from the
tradition in the PC  community to call non-"name brand" PCs
frankensteins.
daniel