[geeks] One parting Mac shot, then I have to go home...

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 07:58:47 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:19:17PM -0500, ward at zilla.nu wrote:
> > fancy G3 with 21" couldn't handle a higher res. than my P166 with Matrox
> > on the cheapest 17" I could find at the time (paid $189 for it).  Which is
> > to say that both topped out at 1600x1200.
>
> That's a surprisingly high resolution for a cheap 17.  Must have had a
> nasty refresh or something.  HP's A4331 series of 20" monitors only do
> 1280x1024, and that annoys me greatly, as I have an A4331D on my desk.

I think it was refreshing at 72hz.  A bit low, but livable.  It is some
sorta Dell monitor.  My other Dell 17" tops out at 1024x768.  That monitor
sucks.  It also has some color imbalance problem (things are always a bit
too bright and washed out).

Hopefully this fall I'll have the dough to go to a nice SGI or Sun 20" as
my main monitor, and save the nice dell for my HP and javastations.

--
Joshua D. Boyd