[geeks] ISP Suckness

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 13:22:00 CDT 2001

Does any ISP suffer more suckness than Digex?

I've noticed the following:

They never get  back to you with ETA or resolution for major outages.

They don't care how long you've been down. A week outage is no different than
an hour outage (lack of escalation).

When their call distribution system says you are customer number X, X = the
number of 10 minute intervals of on-holdness (usually I am customer number 3).

They can't maintain BGP routes (or they piss off their peers).

They are expensive.

Latency (even digex port to digex port) appears to be an added customer-feature
bonus, not a dreaded result of poor network design.

No matter where you are going, expect to traverse a minimum of two backbone
providers (usually UUNet and Global Crossing - even though they are a Worldcom
company).

Their customer service reps will hang up on you when you get testy (I proved
this one today!!).

I am sorry for ranting, but I am tired of playing kisseybutt to get a putrid
little T1 internet access. Thank god our production ISP (Exodus) is better, no,
great.

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!