[geeks] Re: VAX maffia

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 28 12:28:32 CST 2001

> On my quest to get more "stuff" of a classic nature
> I came across these items on eBay in Germany.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1311492128

 yeah, I saw that auction yesterday. Is it me or is 505 EURO (approx 500 USD!) a
normal price for a VAX? I've given away a Vaxstation 4000/300 this month and
that one I got by trading it with a MX/300 MX-2 and AS/400 E10 for a RS/6000
(powerstation 400) of mine ("if you can use this vax, please take it".

> Now, I do not speak German and in fact know very little
> about VAX's in general. But for some reason the notion
> of having one is appealing. Also, these items are
> "relatively" close (me being in Holland).

 These vaxii (?!?) are nice, but this is WAY too expensive. Get one for free,
I've had 3 vaxii over the years (although for very short times) and they were
all free (Microvax II, Vaxstation 4000 and I think the third was also a 4000).
And they are all gone too :).

> How do they look to you VAX owners/operators?

 A microvax 2000 looks much nicer to me. Or else you can also run openVMS on an
Alpha.

 regards,
   Michiel

ps. If you were still looking for a RS/6000, there is a Motorola powerstack
machine for sale on eBay.de; I have a MT604-100, but am still looking for a
black stackable unit...