[geeks] Sunblade 1K vs MacG4 vs Ultra 60

Dave McGuire geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 16:39:40 CST 2001

On December 12, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Not to mention it's so simple to get better performance.  A few years
> back, Forrest (friend) and I ran some fp tests on a U1 (or U10, can't
> remember) using some simple code he wrote.  We were stunned when we saw
> the improvement the -fast option made on the Sun C compiler. (gcc and Sun
> C were around even until that.  It was like afterburners...)

  Yup.  UltraSPARCs are amazing.  My security camera stuff (with some
VIS hacking from Geoff Adams, an incredibly talented programmer) does
complete jpeg frame decoding, a fair amount of digital filtering and
motion detection on twelve video cameras at 10fps per camera on a
400MHz UltraSPARC-IIe with a CPU load of about 25%...including doing
all the buffer-banging to get the frames into the machine and parse
them out of multipart/x-mixed-replace http streams.  These are *nice*
processors.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire