[geeks] Networking and DNS

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 11:07:53 CST 2001

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> the office.  In the installation it asked what name service I am using.  I
> clicked DNS and entered the info... when it got to setting things it told
> me my DNS information was wrong... clearly it was not... but I had to

Ooh, ooh! I know this one! The install asks for DNS info to try to
resolve itself. If it can't, it says you're wrong. It's confusing
because other operating systems ask for DNS info in order to look up
other machines. And on top of that, the installer doesn't even feed the
info into /etc/resolv.conf, so you have to do it manually.

Also, you have to

echo <gatewayIP> > /etc/defaultrouter

to be able to see your nameservers if they're off your local segment.

Don't ask me why. I don't know. It seems broken to me, but I've gotten
used to it.

---sambo