[geeks] Networking and DNS

Andrew Weiss geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 10:59:07 CST 2001

A quick answer sought from those in the "know".  I am getting back into
Solaris and as such installed Solaris 8 on an extra PC I had lying around
the office.  In the installation it asked what name service I am using.  I
clicked DNS and entered the info... when it got to setting things it told
me my DNS information was wrong... clearly it was not... but I had to
click cancel to get it to ignore and keep going.  (Is this wrong?  is it
looking for some kind of magical NIS enabled DNS... note I did not select
NIS or NIS+ or is it trying to become a secondary DNS server?).  Either
which way mimicing my Linux resolv.conf still gets me no name
resolution... the network works fine, however.

Regards,
Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.