[geeks] Adventures in Landscaping vol. 1

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 29 07:46:34 CDT 2001

We cleaned up the front yard and Amy suddenly grows a green thumb.

We decide that we're going to build some elevated planting beds (since
the ground is too hard to even run a rototiller through) by stacking
some landscaping timbers together and making a "frame" around part of the
front of the yard, which we will then fill with nice planting soil/
dirt/whatever.

Equipment #1:  Ryobi 6V cordless driver/drill:
http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/pt_catalog/cordless/hp61k.html
(saw this for $21 at home depot, and couldnt pass it up - in fact,
 I might go get another one tomorrow; they kick ass).

Equipment #2: Metal framing/repair plate, 8", qty. 40:
(similar to this)
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_1%2fHardware_2104%2fBuilder's+Hardware_2953%2fMending+Plates_3148&BV_SessionID=@@@@1485903150.0988547883@@@@&BV_EngineID=egalkkhggjgmbfdlcffcfhcgjm.0

Equipment #3: 2" wood screws, qty. 200

Equipment #4: Convertible, red, Lebaron, 1992 ed. qty. 1.

Equipment #5: Landscape timbers, 8', qty. 22 (so far):
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_1%2fHardware_2104%2fBuilder's+Hardware_2953%2fMending+Plates_3148&BV_SessionID=@@@@1485903150.0988547883@@@@&BV_EngineID=egalkkhggjgmbfdlcffcfhcgjm.0

So, we went to home depot in #4.  Picked up #1, #2, and #3 Friday.
Went back yesterday, picked up 12 of #5.  Yes, we fit them IN THE
BACK SEAT OF THE CONVERTIBLE, with about 4-5' of big wood logs sticking
up out over the back of the back seat (with the other ends wedged under
the driver and passenger seats).  Looked really funny, and as one guy
said in the parking lot, "Damn, dude, you need a truck."

Brought them home, laid them out according to the guidelines we'd
staked out earlier in the week and marked with orange ribbon/tape stuff.
Stacked them in stacks of two, and screwed them together on one side
using the metal straps, then bent the "excess" strap so that one part
of it was parallel to the ground.  We then used some landscaping rocks
that we'd removed from one side of the house (had been part of a garden,
years ago) to hold the stacks of logs in place around the edge of what
would be the flower/plant bed.

Went back to home depot at 5am this morning (yay for 24 hour home
depot!  we have two within a 15 mile radius of our house), got 10
more landscape timbers, brought them back, and just finished the
basic assembly.  Still gotta saw one in half for a 4' "end cap" and
then strap the stacks together, but the basic layout is done, and
we'll be done with one "side" of the yard.  Will go back later tonight
and get two more loads of timber to do the other side of the yard,
and then call and order a truckload of planting soil in a couple of
days to fill everything with.

I'll try to take pictures later today and post them for everyone
to see. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford