[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #64 - 14 msgs

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 23:18:14 CDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Goldarg wrote:
> I don't think we have NEBS compliant gear, I hadnt even heard the term
> before your mail :)

When you look at DSLAMs, they throw it [the term] in your face.

> volcano.localisp.com was a Packard bell pentium based system owned by a
> customer we used to have hosting with us,

PB? Oh no...

> We decided something along the lines of this happened:
>
> Fan in Power supply in volcano stops spinning, power supply over
> heats,  cap bursts, power supply sends voltage spike to motherboard,
> motherboard starts to pop and smoke.

Whoopsie! Looks like I need to move up that maintenence on our TuCows
Mirror. IIRC, it's being cooled by convection. The power supply fan is
turning very slowly... I have one (personal) machine that used to host
some 5.25" full-height SCSI drives. It's equip'd with a 12V fan in the
upper back of the full tower. There is a 120V AC fan installed just inside
the case; basically, the 12V fan is sandwiched between the 120V fan and
the case wall. After commiting the machine to "inactive" status (powered
24x7, I use Netscape on it and another machines as an X terminal), I
noticed the fan had failed. Being that the fan air exit is a Gaping
Hole(tm), I keep a fan moving so that air doesn't stagnate. Turned on the
120V fan, walked away..

> After that the thing about no PC's in the main server room happened so we
> have a little server room just for them,  the bad thing is the little
> server room used to be a guard shack (internal to the building tho) so it
> has no cooling, only a tiny UPS that we bought and no halon system where
> the big room has a raised floor, lots of nice cold air, halon protection
> and a big UPS.

Ouch.

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   |