[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #64 - 14 msgs

Goldarg geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 21:22:19 CDT 2001

At 12:01 PM 4/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Message: 11
>Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:17:15 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net>
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] asthsma attacks suck
>
>On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Goldarg wrote:
> > 3:30pm colo customer shows up to try to fix their NT box we colo for
> > them, I have to go to the building next door where we keep our server
> > farm and sit with him since its monitored access only, he needs a
> > monitor to hook up to his NT box so I get one from our 2nd server room
> > where we keep all the x86 boxes ( we only allow sun's and the alike in
> > our big server room after a PC caught fire once), While getting the
>
>Are the Sun boxes NEBS compliant? I'm interested to know how a PC can
>catch fire and really smoke out enough to damage other boxes. What form
>factor?

I don't think we have NEBS compliant gear, I hadnt even heard the term
before your mail :)

[The names below have been changed to protect the guilty]

volcano.localisp.com was a Packard bell pentium based system owned by a
customer we used to have hosting with us,

We decided something along the lines of this happened:

Fan in Power supply in volcano stops spinning, power supply over
heats,  cap bursts, power supply sends voltage spike to motherboard,
motherboard starts to pop and smoke.

After that the thing about no PC's in the main server room happened so we
have a little server room just for them,  the bad thing is the little
server room used to be a guard shack (internal to the building tho) so it
has no cooling, only a tiny UPS that we bought and no halon system where
the big room has a raised floor, lots of nice cold air, halon protection
and a big UPS.