[geeks] lunchtime poll - cilantro

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 15:59:46 CDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:21:06PM -0500, Reagen Ward wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:01:39PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > <shrug> dictionary.com says that cilantro == coriander
>
> dictionary.com also equates yam with goober in the Southern US.  Sorry,
> yams are much like sweet potatos (but are NOT), and goobers are peanuts.

Oh very well, it says that cilantro is Coriandrum sativum.  It also says
that coriander is Coriandrum sativum.

These herb sellers seem to think they're the same too:
  http://www.earthlygoods.com/herbs/cilantro_coriander.html

They certainly seem to be the same in mainstream English.  If your dialect
says they are different then fine, I believe you, but could you give the
Latin names so we know what you're talking about?

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

       Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our latest and greatest
         operating system which we couldn't be arsed to complete

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **