[geeks] Shoot, I forgot about the AIX section

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 19:32:26 CDT 2001

chris at chrisbyrne.com writes:

>But AIX is perfect for IBM's customers. It alreayd fits their computing
>world view so to speak, and the management tools fit right in. So you as a
>Solaris use might hate AIX, but to someone who's spent their computing life
>on OS/390 and AS/400, AIX is great.

AIX feels very mainframy. Like it thinks that having only one or two
disks is an incredibly weird special case...

>Ok good stuff aside, AIX is weird. You pretty much have to use smit unless
>you are looking for trouble. It's fairly heavyweight, but not as much as say
>Win2K. There are lots of apps available but a lot of them are from IBM or
>CA, which means $$$ and in the case of CA support nightmares. The hardware
>is FRIKKEN EXPENSIVE (have I said that oo much), and nothing else runs on
>it.

The one nice thing I'll say about SMIT is that it is a front-end to a
big set of AIX-specific CLI utilities, and you can get SMIT to tell you
what shell command your menu-driven request was converted into.

But I still don't like it, and will switch to *BSD the *second* it
is available.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --