[geeks] RE: [SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

Cyrus M. Reed geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 18:38:41 CDT 2001

At the risk of starting a metric/Imperial holy war, I respectfully
disagree. :)  I think the Imperial system of measurement is about as
braindead as they come.  Example: 1 mi = 5280 ft; why not 5000 or 1000?  I
know there are historical reasons for how the imperial system is set up,
but that's not my point.  We use a decimal number system (i.e based on
10), the metric system is also decimal based (i.e. 1 m = 1000 mm = .001
km).  That makes it trivial to convert between quantities of the same
measure (divide by 10, multiply by 100, etc.).  The metric system also has
a far greater range (like exameter or nanometer) than the imperial
system.  Overall it seems like a much more natural measurement system
(which it was designed to be).  Granted, as you say it's difficult to
separate quantities by halves or fourths and get a nice simple "integer
unit", but if the processing power is there to convert between metric and
imperial, surely it can't be that much more difficult to divide or
multiply by powers of ten instead of two or just say 25 cm =1 m.  The
greatest strength of the metric system is it's basis on powers of 10 (I
will agree that sometimes the units themselves can be oddly large or small
- Farads are a good example - but then you just switch to pico or
micro...).  Of course I have known about the metric system for quite a
while and use it everyday in my field of study (Physics), so I'm as biased
as anyone. :)  The Imperial system is just too unwieldy for any sort of
number crunching, and I've *never* understood the odd conversion factors.

-Cyrus