[SunHELP] How to get Solaris 10 1/13 and Solaris SCSI weirdness

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 08:21:16 CDT 2018

Hi,

Two questions, both relating to my Blade 150.

First, the last proported version of Solaris 10 to support it is 1/13. Any
ideas how I can get hold of it for non commercial purposes? I think the
last media I have is 6/06... and I can't find it.

Second, I installed a Sun Symbios SCSI PCI card in the thing because
frankly the IDE makes my want to heave. It works, very well, except for a
quirk.

I setup a 2.5" SCA 10k 73GB hard drive ex of IBM in a 611 case to start
with. It worked like a charm and boot time is a lot shorter (I installed
Oracle Solaris 10 u11 because I could lay my hands on the ISO). Aside from
lacking a video driver, it seemed to boot fine. So feeling victory within
my grasp I attached the 2.5" to the card internally via a SCSI ribbon to
the same bus on the SYMBIOS card, using a SCA to 68-pin convertor. I moved
the drive ID from 5 to 0 in the process, and updated the OBP boot-device
accordingly to allow me to boot it easily. Then a problem struck. It boots,
goes through the early boot okay, but then for some reason the disk drive
shuts off, powers down and sulks, causing Solaris to duly have a brain
fart. I'm booting from a ZFS pool of one drive if that's any help.

I intend to swap cables, adapter boards etc. this evening but I just
wondered if there's something Solaris is doing that might cause it, like
resetting the SCSI board or bus? It working externally and not internally
suggests its hardware. I guess I'll find out.

--

Matk Benson