[SunHELP] SS20 Solaris 7 boot issue

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 14:05:34 CST 2017

Hi Mark

I will send a link to a Sol 2.6 iso for you.

I was not surprised the DVD did not read in the CD.......!!

Peter

> On 24 Jan 2017, at 18:13, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23/01/2017 23:35, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> I have the same comments Peter had.  I was just looking at Wikipedia,
>> and multiple articles seem to suggest your box should be good for
>
> It'#s not the framebuffer. I swapped it (i.e. yanked the onboards SIMM and
installed a card) for a TGX and the same happens. Other odd thing, with the
TGX in it did this after the RAM test on POST:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5go20s8zvgzw33/2017-01-24%2017.53.19.jpg?dl=0
>
> A Stop-A brought it back to the OBP ok prompt but it was a bit odd, just sat
and spammed it continuously if I left it. Anyway, with the TGX in it did
exactly the same thing.

> Looking at the error in a little more detail it looks like it can't load a
driver for the CDROM (external) and is barfing from not being able to mount
the CDROM root?

>> Solaris 2.3 thru Solaris 9.
>> Is there a special reason you need to run Solaris 7?  My recollection
>> was that it did not bring that much to the table.
>>
>> 2.6 was pretty stable, and I ran it on a lot of equipment for quite a
>> long time, back in the day.  OTOH, If I were wanting/needing some newer
>> features (i.e. IPv6), I would probably look towards Solaris 8.
>
> Only thing I have on CDROM. I'm a little out of it when it comes ot Solaris,
I used 10 exclusively most of the time back when I had the gear for it.

> I have 9.0 on DVD but it  won't read it (I don't thing the OBP can interpret
UDF formats?)

>> It is also mentioned that Solaris 9 should run, but Solaris 9 was not my
>> favorite.  I'm a OpenWin fan on one hand, and, even if I wasn't, I can't
>> imagine that CDE would be especially pleasant on a Sparc Station 20.
>>
>> Do you have other media?  Either for Solaris 7 or for other Solaris
>> versions?
>
> I have 2 copies of Solaris 7, one's official but scratched, it does that,
the other is a burn but on an old CDR and it does the same. It might just be 2
lots of bad media?