[SunHELP] SS20 Solaris 7 boot issue

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Tue Jan 24 03:14:40 CST 2017

Please see inline comments

On 01/23/17 08:18 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i had the choice of s8 or s9 when i set my current server up, and i
> went with s8 as i'm also an openwin fan.  but i did wonder belatedly
> what would've been required to install the s8 ow pkgs on s9 - would a
> simple pkgadd have worked?

Look for fully patched Openwin packages for Solaris 9 & 10 here:

<https://sourceforge.net/projects/owacomp/?source=directory>

This guy has sorted everything out, patched everything, and you can easily add
to your Solaris 9 or 10 box with a package add.  He also included some Openwin
applications.

He also used to distribute Openwin packages for linux.  I haven't seen those in
a few years.

> as for cde on a ss20, i have a little experience in that direction,
> courtesy of a job.  i don't recall performance being objectionably
> worse than openwin, but i *really*did* hate that it didn't memorize
> icon locations as openwin does, so that when one iconified a window one
> never knew just where it would end up.  i believe cde 2 fixed that,
> but i don't know if sun ever stepped up.  this was under 2.6.

I remember that also.

> i do run dtterms in openwin as they're better than shelltools, and i
> occasionally play with dtksh.

I seem to recall that command tool worked much better than shelltool, but dtterm
trumped them both, even in Openwin.   I distinctively recall, back in the day,
myself and my coworkers belly-aching that each dtterm took up 6 Mb of memory.