[SunHELP] SS5 headaches

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:05:32 CST 2017

Hi,

Been a looong time since I posted to this list, but here goes.

I am trying to revive my SPARCstation 5 and a few things seem to be
bugging it.

Firstly the RAM seems to be very patchy, some banks seem to flake out
with very little physical disturbance. I've reseated all 8 banks (256MB
total) several times and it works for now but even just moving a RAM
card will cause it to not show on POST.

Secondly I get the dreaded 'IDPROM contents invalid' message after POST
which I assume means the IDRPOM battery had died and I should replace
it. I can't remember, was there an issue wit hthem forgetting the MAC
address if the IDPROM dies. That seems to still show up on the OBP boot
start screen?

Thirdly OPENSTEP 4.2's installer (OS 4.2 works just fine on SS5s, by
apples recommendation, and this is a 110MHz, not a 150MHz) won't boot.
The installer runs through the initial questions then, whil loading the
hardware drivers, I just get a 'Watchdog reset' and it drops to the OBP
prompt (I take it that means it's crapped itself and the OBP assumed it
had crashed?).

The SS5 is bare apart from a 9GB hard drive, S24 (tcx?) SS5 framebuffer,
and a QE card. Using an external DVD-ROM drive which is known to work
okay and works well with Suns (it's in a Sun 711 case, so
auto-terminates also)

All help appreciated.

--

Mark Benson