[SunHELP] Sun T5220 SERV MNGT port problems.

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 01:40:17 CDT 2015

Hi Fabio

With the lack of serial ports on laptops now it is difficult to avoid having
to use the USB option. I have used one for many years now without too many
problems (sending break is often the difficult one), but in general they do
work ok.

I also 'invested' in a serial cable for the IPad which makes temporary hookups
really easy. The cable was not cheap, but means going to site is a whole lot
simpler in terms of tools , ie Ipad, cable and a few screwdrivers.

Glad you sorted it.

Peter

On 6 Oct 2015, at 04:42, Fabio A. Miranda
<fabio.miranda at appliedconsultores.com> wrote:

> Hello Peter:
>
> You are right, it was a cabling setup problem. Actually, what we do was
> take a laptop HP 6550B with serial port, connect a cisco console cable
> directly to rj45 SERV MNGT port on T5220.
>
> Worked like a charm, we were able to login via "root" "changeme",
> firmware upgrade and deploy system.
>
> Those usb to serial cables such as Prolific can cause problems sometimes...
>
> Thanks,
>
> On 10/05/2015 04:00 PM, Peter Stokes wrote:
>> Hi Fabio
>>
>> First you have to establish what is working on your test kit. Can you use
the
>> serial setup to talk to a n other system on the serial console?
>>
>> That should check you have a working setup.
>>
>> You should be able to power on after the ILOM has loaded using the poweron
>> button and holding it for a few seconds. Failing of poweron should result
in
>> errors being listed on the console.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> On 5 Oct 2015, at 20:02, Fabio A. Miranda
>> <fabio.miranda at appliedconsultores.com> wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> We are troubleshooting one T5220. Using a Linux box with minicom,
Prolific
>> usb-to-serial cable plus a Cisco console cable connected to SERV MNGT
>> console.
>>> We can see iLom boot process completely fine since U-BOOT to login
prompt.

>>> Everything is fine but our keystrokes are not shown in console, we are
not
>> able to login nor control escape "#.". It is like a "read only" session.
We