[SunHELP] ZFS recovery

Neurodancer neurodancer at icloud.com
Tue Jun 17 10:16:58 CDT 2014

On 17 Jun 2014, at 10:57 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:

>> This is a Dell T105 and the only setting is to turn SATA on or off.
>
> Hmm, ok.

I should have explained: only setting for SATA control.

> You should be able to boot an installer disk and boot your installed system
> from the installer. It would be better to have someone nearby walk you
> through this. I've done it a bunch of times and it is simple, but not simple
> to talk about.

Yeah... I'll try to work it out. Most of my machines are so reliable I rarely get to exercise any recovery skills.

> grub normally doesn't install on both drives of a root mirror. One thing you
> should do when you get your system back is installgrub on both drives. Then
> again, if you can't select boot order with your BIOS this might not help.

I can select boot order... and I did try booting from each drive.

> I think your system is probably fine, I don't know why you lost your
> bootability. But this sometimes happens on earlier S10. There used to be a
> bunch of disk driver issues that affected SATA drives.

...and of course, if I had a UPS on them it wouldn't have happened. I'm in that situation where it seems like everything is breaking all at once, and repair or replacement is outrunning my cash flow quite a bit.

Thanks for the notes. I'm going to see if I can boot the system from DVD and fix it.