[SunHELP] Need more disk space. What are my options?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Oct 2 13:58:38 CDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 02:53:22PM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>
> >I am very short of disk space and would like some sort of backup
> >strategy. Ideally it would be tape, but I can't afford a tape system.
> >
> >I have a few Intel boxes but they are maxed out and I have no room to move
> >anything around. Is there any cheap way to add a SATA array that could be
> >connected to a Sun server?
>
> I know of a SAS controller that'll work with Solaris.  I'm assuming
> this is for a SPARC?

Yes, for SPARC.

I didn't think of SAS drives since they're still fairly expensive and
not available over the counter here. I can get 1T SATA drives from WD or
Seagate for about 95 bucks a piece.

> The one I grabbed off ebay for like $20 will accept 8 SATA drives
> with the right cable.  2TB max Xper-drive.  Fits in a PCI/PCI-X
> slot.

That sounds ideal. I may have the card itself already installed. I haven't
checked what these boxes have in them.

You're talking about an enclosure for 20 bucks or the card? What do I search
for?

Thanks.