[SunHELP] Passing on some news..

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Fri Jun 17 15:55:37 CDT 2011

On 17 Jun 2011, at 20:04, Bill Bradford wrote:

> http://www.sunhelp.org/2011/06/17/oracle-solaris-11-drops-support-for-legacy-sun-hardware/

Larry Ellison - **** him.

Seriously though, although some of the higher end systems are still viable, the low end stuff is going on for 15-20 years old. I'm aware enterprise legacy is a lot longer than consumer markets but Oracle are not Sun. This is all stuff they can do without supporting in a current OS, and they can provide Solaris 9 and 10 for these systems still.

Shrewd move if you ask me. Kinda sad for those wanting to upgrade on older hardware, but I can't say I didn't expect it.

There still remains the thorn that there's no Solaris 10 hobbyist license of any kind to run older machines with Sol10 without a service deal. Can't see Oracle changing that. It's the part that really bugs me to be honest, especially while I'm sitting here laying with a Hobbyist licensed version of OpenVMS (thanks HP!!).

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>