[SunHELP] anybody running clustered redhat?

sunil naik sunilnr at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:44:04 CST 2010

Sorry man, My laptop died on saturday night.

Here is quick/steps to setup/configure ocfs2 cluster with OEL and Redhat,
SLES.

PRE Instalation requirements.
1. Private interconnect - configure before you setup cluster - Like in Solaris
cluster
   installation/configuraiton takes care of interconnect setup.  Here we have
to setup ahead.
   Private interconnect is recommendation by Oracle RAC for better performace
or
   you can use public ip too.
2. Shared devices (supported iscsi/san)
3. Make sure ocfs2 rpm's installed use this command to query - rpm -qa |grep
ocfs
4. ocfs2 kernel rpm, console rpm and tools rpm is important.

Post installation and Configuration,

Run GUI to setup/configure ocfs2
# Ocfs2console

With ocfs setup provide private interconnect ip's and specify public
hostname.
select Cluster + Configure node and select add buttion to specity hostname and
private ip.
Here is location for conf file and example.  Or you can create manually these
file on both nodes.

/etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf --- file example
node:
        ip_port = 7777          # default port number
        ip_address = 10.10.1.1   # private interconnect ip
        number = 0   # node number
        name = hostname1         # should be public hostname
        cluster = ocfs2

node:
        ip_port = 7777
        ip_address = 10.10.1.2
        number = 1
        name = hostname2
        cluster = ocfs2

cluster:
        node_count = 2   # total number of cluster nodes.
        name = ocfs2

Now run this command on both nodes.

# /etc/init.d/o2cb configure

The cluster will generate this file   P.S.:Here you need to type all default
entries.

# /etc/sysconfig/o2cb.

#
# This is a configuration file for automatic startup of the O2CB
# driver.  It is generated by running /etc/init.d/o2cb configure.
# Please use that method to modify this file
#

# O2CB_ENABELED: 'true' means to load the driver on boot.
O2CB_ENABLED=true

# O2CB_BOOTCLUSTER: If not empty, the name of a cluster to start.
O2CB_BOOTCLUSTER=ocfs2

# O2CB_HEARTBEAT_THRESHOLD: Iterations before a node is considered dead.
O2CB_HEARTBEAT_THRESHOLD=91

# O2CB_IDLE_TIMEOUT_MS: Time in ms before a network connection is considered
dead.
O2CB_IDLE_TIMEOUT_MS=10000

# O2CB_KEEPALIVE_DELAY_MS: Max time in ms before a keepalive packet is sent
O2CB_KEEPALIVE_DELAY_MS=5000

# O2CB_RECONNECT_DELAY_MS: Min time in ms between connection attempts
O2CB_RECONNECT_DELAY_MS=2000

Now restart the cluster file systems with this command

# /etc/init.d/o2cb restart  or <stop/start>

Now run run mkfs.ocfs2 with the shared devices

# /sbin/mkfs.ocfs2 -b 4K -C 512K -N 6 -L sdb1 /dev/sdb1

-b - block size
-c - Cluster size
-N - number of nodes
-L - label

Update /etc/fstab entry with this example

# /dev/sdb1 /sharedb ocfs2  _netdev,rw,datavolume,nointr   0  0

# mkdir /sharedb # on both nodes

# /etc/init.d/ocfs2 restart or <stop/start>

Run touch command on both nodes and make sure ocfs2 is working.

Here Oracle web site for ocfs2 clusters.  I am not sure this is freely
available you should be a customer to see these docs.

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/documentation/

HTH,

-Sunil.