[SunHELP] Re Oracle & Sun

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 29 09:44:28 CDT 2009

So, if your org is planning to move its Oracle to Solaris, is that on
Solaris X64?  I'm wondering because Oracle 11g is not available on
Solaris X64, just Solaris Sparc.  Larry might change that, or release
version 12 on Solaris X64, now that he will be owning Solaris.

Of course, AIX runs on Power processors, so you wouldn't be too nervous
about Sparc.

Maybe your organization has contacts with Oracle where you've gotten
info re Oracle 11/12 on Solaris X64?

I'm wondering because we are moving away from Sparc, and we would really
like to run Oracle on Solaris X64 rather than Linux.

--
David Strom

Re the post below (I just get the digest):

Message: 8 Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:56:26 -0500 From: Jerry K
<sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> To: The SunHELP List <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Some thoughts? Message-ID:
<49F8406A.8050704 at oryx.cc> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1;
format=flowed Alan, I agree, Sun was probably well set to weather this
economic downturn, and I also would have preferred them staying
independent: http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3790021 But
things are where they are. My initial though were, that I would have
preferred that possibly Apple or Cisco, although I had not considered
Oracle. In hind site, Oracle will probably be a pretty good fit. IMHO,
the only way that IBM made any sense, is if IBM had finally decided to
through the towel in on AIX. I don't know how realistic that thought
is/was, but consider that Solaris has recently been ported (and fully
supported) on the IBM mainframe. I work for a large retailer, and all of
our Oracle databases are currently on AIX. Prior to the Oracle buying
Sun announcement, our DBA's were pushing to move off of AIX. Their
reasoning was that as new features appear in Oracle products, those new
features show up in AIX dead last. Disclaimer, I don't know if this is
true or not, but that is what the DBA's I support tell me. But back to
the point, prior to the buy out announcement, we were considering Oracle
databases on linux. Now, with the Oracle buyout announcement, we have
revised our migration plans and we are now looking at moving Oracle
databases on Solaris. If your crystal ball is fuzzy on this one, I can
give you 7.5 billion reasons why Oracle on Solaris is a good idea moving
forward. But anyway, this is just my opinion, of which I am sure
everyone else has a unique one of their own. So with that firmly
established, why not review the statements, direct from the horses
mouth. http://www.oracle.com/sun/sun-faq.pdf look that PDF over, and