[SunHELP] Some thoughts?

Jerry K sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Apr 29 06:56:26 CDT 2009

Alan,

I agree, Sun was probably well set to weather this economic downturn,
and I also would have preferred them staying independent:

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3790021

But things are where they are.  My initial though were, that I would
have preferred that possibly Apple or Cisco, although I had not
considered Oracle.  In hind site, Oracle will probably be a pretty good
fit.

IMHO, the only way that IBM made any sense, is if IBM had finally
decided to through the towel in on AIX.  I don't know how realistic that
thought is/was, but consider that Solaris has recently been ported (and
fully supported) on the IBM mainframe.

I work for a large retailer, and all of our Oracle databases are
currently on AIX.  Prior to the Oracle buying Sun announcement, our
DBA's were pushing to move off of AIX.  Their reasoning was that as new
features appear in Oracle products, those new features show up in AIX
dead last.  Disclaimer, I don't know if this is true or not, but that is
what the DBA's I support tell me.

But back to the point, prior to the buy out announcement, we were
considering Oracle databases on linux.  Now, with the Oracle buyout
announcement, we have revised our migration plans and we are now looking
at moving Oracle databases on Solaris.  If your crystal ball is fuzzy on
this one, I can give you 7.5 billion reasons why Oracle on Solaris is a
good idea moving forward.

But anyway, this is just my opinion, of which I am sure everyone else
has a unique one of their own.  So with that firmly established, why not
review the statements, direct from the horses mouth.

http://www.oracle.com/sun/sun-faq.pdf

look that PDF over, and lets discuss this some more?

Jerry