[SunHELP] X-windows trouble

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Thu Mar 1 11:29:31 CST 2007

Solaris 9, X-windows opens up fine and has always worked.

Now I am trying to start a new application (a utility for our accounting
application) from the local console (not remotely) which needs to open a
window and it is getting rejected:

------------------------------
Pebbles% echo $DISPLAY
Pebbles:0.0
Pebbles% browse
Browse running with pid 12596
Xlib: connection to "Pebbles:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: Pebbles:0.0
Pebbles%
Pebbles% xauth
Using authority file /export/home/genprod/.Xauthority
xauth> list Pebbles/unix:0
Pebbles/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  123456789abcdefg..etc
xauth> list Pebbles:0
Pebbles:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  123456789abcdefg..etc
xauth> exit
Pebbles%

So the application launches, I have $DISPLAY defined properly (I think),
and the 'magic cookies' exist for the local machine (Pebbles). I am not
sure if the cookie really is 'invalid' or what to do about it.

This app is not running as root, but as the production accounting user.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

- Joe P