[SunHELP] REPOST: rsync for one time Oracle data migration to new array

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 20 13:05:17 CDT 2006

 >>rewritten for those that are particular about presentation and for
potentially better yields of course... =)

     I would like feedback on a proposal that I have made to management
which involves migrating an Oracle E-business suite installation from an
older EMC FC4700 to a CX500 storage array.  One option proposed by EMC
was to use LVM mirroring and detach the mirror later while the system
was down.  This option does sound good because it allows us to bring the
system up while resyncing.  We don't use Vertitas Volume manager for
unlisted reasons and while I do use SDS for the root OS mirrors and have
good success with it, I do not like altering my source data or access
methods in any manner that could jeopardize its integrity.

    EMC Sancopy was also investigated, but an SSA at EMC has recently
advised us that differences in flare code between the FC and CX arrays
have lead to incompatibilities.

    I have cloned these installations many times both locally an across
the wire using rsync and haven't had anything crop up which would lead
me to believe my data was not 1 to 1.  I have proposed that I would
perform an initial sync of the files during the day to get the majority
of the work done before a migration weekend.  When the system could be
brought down I would have rsync copy or delete what it needs on the
target to get things 1:1 with the source.  Since the Oracle database
files are every changing and large I've chosen to skip these files until
we are down and executing the migration.

     One of the questions I was asked by management was if rsync had any
directory depth limitations.  My initial response is that I think rsync
would complain if it ran into something like and I also believe that
rsync would use up the system memory before it ran into a depth
limitation.  I'm pretty certain that the file types (ie. regular files,
links, etc) in an Oracle installation can be handled by rsync.  For any
option I think most of the concern lies within mapping the luns
correctly, copying the data to the right luns, making sure all relevant
mount points for each server are considered, and using the original
mount point names for the new luns.

Do you guys have any feedback on this?  Its fuel to fire or perhaps
things I should consider.

Thanks.

2 servers Solaris 9, 2 Solaris 8
all running rsync 2.6.8