[SunHELP] rsync for one time Oracle data migration to new array

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 20 10:46:49 CDT 2006

I need a little feedback on a proposal I've made to management which
involves migrating an Oracle E-business suite installation from an older
EMC FC4700 to a CX500 storage array.  One option proposed by EMC was to
use LVM mirroring and detach later while the system was down.  This does
sound good because it allows to bring the system up while resyncing.  We
don't use Vertitas Volume manager for unlisted reasons and while I do
use SDS for the root OS mirrors and have a had good success with it, I
do not like altering my source data or access methods in any manner that
could jeopardize it's integrity.  I have cloned these installations many
times both locally an across the wire using rsync and haven't had
anything crop up which would lead me to believe my data was not 1 to 1.
What I have proposed was that I'd do an initial sync of the files during
the day to get the majority of the work done before a migration weekend
and then while the system was down that weekend I would have rsync copy
or delete what it needs on the target to get things 1:1 with the
source.  Since the Oracle database files are every changing and large
I've chosen to skip these files until we are down and executing the
migration.  One of the questions I was asked by management was if rsync
had any directory depth limitations.  My initial response is that I
think rsync would complain if it ran into something like and I also
believe that rsync would use up the system memory before it ran into a
depth limitation.  I'm pretty certain that their isn't any particular
file type (ie links etc) that rsync does not handle correctly.  I think
with both approaches most of the concerns lie within mapping the luns
correctly, copying the data to the right luns which are assigned the
right servers and making sure all relevant mount points for each server
are considered.

Do you guys have any feedback on this?  Its fuel to fire or perhaps
things I should consider.

Thanks.

2 servers Solaris 9, 2 Solaris 8
all running rsync 2.6.8