[SunHELP] Mail sent but not received

Martin Frost martin at omniconsumerproducts.com
Wed May 10 10:44:06 CDT 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Marek Grinberg wrote:

> Replacing DRmail.x.com with DR in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
> DR
> made sendmail to local user work OK.
>
> How do I set up sendmail to send mail to external user ?

I don't really know Sendmail specifics as I normally use Exim, but it
looks as though you have a Sendmail config designed to send all mail
to an external relay ("smart host") for processing. This is a very common
(and sensible) structure in networks of more than a few machines, or
where site firewall policy restricts outbound SMTP connections. It is
certainly not what you want if you want this machine to have a local
mailstore, which your comments seem to suggest that you do.

Because I'm not a Sendmail expert I can't tell you what changes need to be
made to your configuration, but I would suggest that you find some example
Sendmail config files for the sort of setup you want and look at those,
rather than trying to hack your existing config, which appears to have
been set up for a completely different purpose and probably needs many
other changes.

If you do want this machine to simply relay all mail, whatever the
destination, to a fixed host, then changing the "mail.x.com" to the
hostname of the fixed host should do the job.

Martin