[SunHELP] os for ultra-1

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 8 09:21:01 CDT 2006

Sun, 07 May 2006 @ 13:26 -0600, Arthur Wouk said:

> i have an ultra-1E 200mhs cpu, 1 gig ram, adequate disk space running
> solaris 9.
>
> i would like to speed it up a bit, if that is possible, by going to
> either a free/open/... bsd or a linux/sparc os.
>
> anyone gotten much improvement this way?

NetBSD is how I would go.  Fast, reliable, and useful features.

Linux is OK, but would not be my choice for sparc.  It used to run
rather poorly on sparc, but might be better now.

OpenBSD would run OK, but generally isn't as fast as NetBSD, and has usually
lagged in features. It should be reliable.

I can't think of anything else that I would bother with.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every