[SunHELP] syslog question

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Fri May 5 11:36:32 CDT 2006

Cynthia Leacock wrote:

> I need your help guys.  I'm new to Solaris so bear with me My dmesg or
syslog
> are not being updated...I don't believe.  Here is what I have.  This is not
> heavily used server. I think it should at least log when I log into an ID
> wrong...which is what I"ve tried to do to make output go to this log.
>
> SunOS sun64 5.7 Generic_106541-41 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>
> # ps -ef | grep syslogd root  2135     1  0   May 01 ?        0:00
> /usr/sbin/syslogd
>
> Here are the last entries in dmesg and /var/adm/messages

There are many points in here:

1.  What you seem to be looking for is /var/log/syslog, /var/adm/messages in
Solaris usually only records the boot messages and any other critical
message,
in your case syslogd is complaining about its configuration.

2.  If you test with a bad login that will usually (unless syslogd's
configuration was changed) go to a different log (wtmp) which is not text, so
you have to use the "last" command to see what's in there.

3.  There may be many other log files, usually under /var/log but not always
there (Apache for instance stores its log somewhere else, and doesn't use
syslog
to do that).  The configuration file under /etc controls that.

HTH
--
Reni Berber