[SunHELP] Sun Fire V100 and large drives over 80GB

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sun Mar 5 23:32:53 CST 2006

The ALi M1535 the V100 and X1 uses has nothing to do with RAM. This
southbridge chip provides just the ATA, serial, and USB controllers
for the system. It's the UltraSPARC IIe/i CPUs used in the V100/X1
that have the on-board memory controllers... and as you suspect, V100
models with >= 550Mhz CPU can address up to 1GB per DIMM slot.

In case you don't have them on hand, the following are the memory
notes for the V100:

Memory Notes
The memory installation sequence is Slot 3, 2, 1, and 0.
Each DIMM slot addresses 512MB with <550MHz UltraSPARC IIe.
Each DIMM slot addresses 1GB with >=550MHz UltraSPARC IIi.
When equal size DIMMs are installed, the lowest slot number is mapped
to the lowest address range.
When mixed size DIMMs are installed, the slot number with the largest
size DIMM is mapped to the lowest address range.

/dale