[SunHELP] problems booting from cdrom

Ryan Loiselle sun-help at azonicnet.com
Mon Aug 21 07:38:51 CDT 2006

Hey all,

I have been fighting with this for the past week. I have a 220, and a
Ultra2 that I have tried this from and failed in both instances (many time
over). Both have 1gb ram, the 220r has a 450Mhz CPU, the U2 has dual
300Mhz, I have tried on both with numerous SCSI cdrom's and had little
sucess. I have searched google, my notes / documentation and nothing I
find anywhere seems to get me any closer to getting this working.

What am I trying to do:

I have 4x 18GB drives, and 2x 36GB drives that I am trying to format for
future use, so I am trying to boot the kernal from the Solaris 9 software
1 of 2 disk so I can have access to the format utility (2 different
copies of the media purchased from Sun).  It worked in one instance, and I
was able to format / repair one of the 36gb drives, but since then I have
been unable to boot from the cdrom.

>From the okay prompt I have tried:

boot cdrom
boot cdrom -s
boot cdrom - install

boot cdrom is the one that worked on one occasion (as it should) but since
then I have been recieving the following errors (copied from my last 3
attempts on the 220r) on both machines in rotation, never the same twice
in a row:

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
Can't open deblocker package
Can't open boot device

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
failed to read super block
Boot load failed.
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Boot load failed.
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.

This is from the one instance that it worked:

ok probe-scsi
Target 0
   Unit 0   Disk     SEAGATE SX336704LC      BC0A
Target 1
   Unit 0   Disk     SEAGATE SX336704LC      BC07
Target 6
   Unit 0   Removable Read Only device    MATSHITACD-R   CW-7502  4.10

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_112233-01 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Configuring /dev and /devices
TSI: gfxp0 is GFX8P @ 1152x900
Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.

I believe I have everything set correctly in the NVRAM:

ok printenv
Variable Name         Value                          Default Value

scsi-initiator-id     7                              7
keyboard-click?       false                          false
keymap
ttyb-rts-dtr-off      false                          false
ttyb-ignore-cd        true                           true
ttya-rts-dtr-off      false                          false
ttya-ignore-cd        true                           true
ttyb-mode             9600,8,n,1,-                   9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode             9600,8,n,1,-                   9600,8,n,1,-
pcia-probe-list       1                              1
pcib-probe-list       1,3,2,4,5                      1,3,2,4,5
enclosure-type        540-4284
banner-name           Sun Enterprise 220R
energystar-enabled?   false
mfg-mode              off                            off
diag-level            max                            min
#power-cycles         65
system-board-serial#  5015606055204
system-board-date     39a75f9a
fcode-debug?          false                          false
output-device         screen                         screen
input-device          keyboard                       keyboard
load-base             16384                          16384
boot-command          boot                           boot
auto-boot?            false                          true
watchdog-reboot?      false                          false
diag-file
diag-device           net                            net
boot-file
boot-device           disk net                       disk net
local-mac-address?    false                          false
ansi-terminal?        true                           true
screen-#columns       80                             80
screen-#rows          34                             34
silent-mode?          false                          false
use-nvramrc?          false                          false
nvramrc
security-mode         none
security-password
security-#badlogins   0
oem-logo
oem-logo?             false                          false
oem-banner
oem-banner?           false                          false
hardware-revision
last-hardware-update
diag-switch?          false                          false

And the devalias on both machines appears to be correct:

ok devalias
screen                   /pci at 1f,4000/TSI,gfxp at 5
net                      /pci at 1f,4000/network at 1,1
disk                     /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 0,0
cdrom                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f
tape                     /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3,1/tape at 4,0
tape1                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3,1/tape at 5,0
tape0                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3,1/tape at 4,0
disk6                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0
disk5                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 5,0
disk4                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 4,0
disk3                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 3,0
disk2                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 2,0
disk1                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 1,0
disk0                    /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 0,0
scsi                     /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3
floppy                   /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/fdthree
ttyb                     /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/se:b
ttya                     /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/se:a
keyboard!                /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/su at 14,3083f8:forcemode
keyboard                 /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/su at 14,3083f8
mouse                    /pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/su at 14,3062f8
name                     aliases

I cannot think / find anything further that I have not tried, aside from
trying a network boot (which is doable as I already have a Jumpstart
server that I have used for the last 20 or so installs I have done).

Can anyone suggest anything? Im lost and fustrated...

Ryan