[SunHELP] U10 IDE controller limit?

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Sat Apr 29 03:19:04 CDT 2006

On 29 Apr 2006, at 03:00, Luc I. Suryo wrote:

> correct, it's because the IDE controller used, it will allow 128GB
> max I
> posted this info years ago i forgot the exact detail but is due the
> size
> of the HW addressing controller, it will allow up to 128GB so it's
> just
> a physical limitation... but what you can do it get a supported
> SCSI and then use a smal disk (18GB ide for the root disk and
> everything
> else SCSI.. or even better a controller that support boot in the U10.

The reason is because the U5/U10 boards don't support UDMA ATA
versions. ATA100 is required to access drives up to 400GB, or ATA133
is able to access larger drives but I don't know what the upper limit
on it is.

You'd be much better throwing a PCI SCSI card in and using that with
some 68-pin drives, my Ultra 5 bogs down heavily on disc accesses
because of the constant CPU polling from the IDE controller.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>
AmiRevival 2006 - Keeping the Amiga ALiVE!
<http://www.amirevival.com>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"