[SunHELP] RSM 214 sparc storage array on sparcstation 4/5

Brigance, Leslie V, WCS lbrigance at att.com
Mon Apr 17 08:01:18 CDT 2006

I have not been following this thread closely, but if the drives in the
214 are 9GB drives
they are relatively quick and if you move to Sol 9 you can use the newer
version of
Solstice Disk Suite (referred to now, I think, as Solaris Volume
Manager) and do some
nice stuff for reliability and expansion capability for your file
systems.
The differential adapter (being Sbus for the 4 & 5 machines) is VERY
inexpensive) - you might
pick one up for $5 to $20 or so on eBay.
Since it is differential you can get a 12 or 15 foot cable and locate
the array a fair distance
from your workstation without even noticing any performance degradation.
I am using 2 of these in this config on an SS20 and I have 20' cables.
These arrays are pretty noisy and I actually have the cables going thru
the floor and to the
arrays which are mounted on a shelf in the basement below my home
computer room.
Works out very nicely - only REAL problem I have with these arrays is
that you cannot daisy chain
and the cases which hold the individual drives are SO hard to get open
with breaking them.
Mine have worked out Very well for me !!  Especially with Oracle

In all fairness it is an inexpensive way to have your own array(s) and
do slicing, mirroring, etc.

Good Luck with yours,
LesB