[SunHELP] cron jobs and NFS

Christopher Singleton cas40 at bu.edu
Wed Sep 21 19:49:53 CDT 2005

Hello all,

        I have an SB 150 running a fully patched Solaris 9.  I've set it
up so that I can use NFS to export files to an SGI O2 runnning IRIX
6.5.27.  Ideally, I would like to export all files from a particular
directory that are less than 24 hours old, and remove files from the
directory I exported to when they age over 24  hours (so no matter what
time the user sees the directory, all he sees are the files that are 24
hours old or less).  My main quesiton is should I use cron to do this or
is there some kind or mirroring that I can do that will only import
files of a certain age or younger?  And if I do use cron, should I
delete the files using the crontab on the Sun box that is exporting the
files, or should I set up a cron job on the SGI box that is
importing/receiving the files?  Is there a practical difference between
the two?  Thanks for any help, will summarize.

                                            Chris