[SunHELP] gd 2.0.33 ./configure failure

listmail at triad.rr.com listmail at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 15 12:33:36 CDT 2005

I'm trying to compile gd 2.0.33 on Solaris 8 with libpng 1.2.8 installed
and getting some error about png_create_read_struct and the config log
shows ld: fatal: option -dn and -P are incompatible, ld: fatal: Flags
processing errors. See below.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

./configure output
~~snip~~
checking for libpng12-config... /usr/local/bin/libpng12-config
checking for libpng-config... /usr/local/bin/libpng-config
checking png.h usability... yes
checking png.h presence... yes
checking for png.h... yes
checking for png_create_read_struct in -lpng12... no
configure: WARNING: libpng is required - see http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
checking for freetype-config... no
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
configure: WARNING: not found - disabling freetype support
checking ft2build.h usability... no
checking ft2build.h presence... no
checking for ft2build.h... no
no
checking for FcInit in -lfontconfig... no
checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthreads... yes
checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... -D_REENTRANT
checking for cc_r... gcc

** Configuration summary for gd 2.0.33:

   Support for PNG library:
   Support for JPEG library:         no
   Support for Freetype 2.x library: no
   Support for Fontconfig library:   no
   Support for Xpm library:          no
   Support for pthreads:             yes
~~end snip~~

./config.log
~~snip~~
configure:11173: checking for png.h
configure:11180: result: yes
configure:11351: checking for png_create_read_struct in -lpng12
configure:11381: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/local/X11/include
-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/X11/lib
conftest.c -lpng12  -lz
-lm  >&5
ld: fatal: option -dn and -P are incompatible
ld: fatal: Flags processing errors
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:11387: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GD"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "gd"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.0.33"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GD 2.0.33"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "gd at boutell.com"
| #define PACKAGE "gd"
| #define VERSION "2.0.33"
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_ERRNO_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIMITS_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDDEF_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_ICONV 1
| #define ICONV_CONST const
| #define HAVE_ICONV_H 1
| #define HAVE_ICONV_T_DEF 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_LIBZ 1
| #define HAVE_PNG_H 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char png_create_read_struct ();
| int
| main ()
| {