[SunHELP] a question about tunneling with scp

Chris Anderson christop at charm.net
Thu Sep 8 15:19:48 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 16:02 -0400, Grindell, Joan M. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I have a question about tunneling thru a server using scp.
> Currently we tunnel thru our server via ssh.  Does anyone know how to tunnel
> if what the end result is to copy a file from the 3rd server to the 1 server
> going thru a middle.  We are only allowed to put our public keys on the 2nd
> and 3rd servers.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I often use tar/ssh to copy things,
it's faster than scp (or at least it feels that way):

$ tar cf - dir | ssh blah '(cd remote-dir; tar xf -)'
$ ssh blah '(cd remote-dir; tar cf - dir)' | tar xf -

Rsync also works when RSYNC_RSH=ssh and rsync is available on remote and
local.