[SunHELP] root passwd expired

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 15:48:46 CST 2005

> Lemme ask that another way ... Why have root's
> password expire at all?  What
> benefit do you get from root password expiration?

Answer - compliance with a whole list of federal
government, military, financial or general industry
"must-comply" regulations, standards, procedures and
documents, depending upon your industry and product.

Here's a few examples of regulations/standards I run
into that compliance auditors will reference that
require root password expiration::

1) sarbanes-oxley (sox)
2) gramm-leach-bliley act (glba)
3) national industrial security program operating
manual (nispom)
4) health insurance portability and accountability
(hipaa)
5) federal financial institutions examination council
(ffiec)

regards
steve