[SunHELP] Moving the Server.

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:38:20 CST 2005

On 11/18/05, aalinaser at cox.net <aalinaser at cox.net> wrote:
> I happen to have two identical V240 servers. My question is, if something
goes wrong with one, but the hard drive is intact. Can I put  the hard drive
in the other one and be able to boot.
> I am aware that there are other methods as well which may require additional
software and hardware to do clustering and etc. But I am simply seeking the
answer to above question, whether is it doable.

It should boot just fine, but there are other issues to think about.
Two come to mind right away:

You need to be prepared to deal with anything that cares about hostid
and MAC (Ethernet) addresses.

If you've done anything any disk mirroring or such you'll either need
to move all the disks or be prepared to deal with the metadb recovery.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator