[SunHELP] sendmail 8.12.11 on solaris

Sebastian Jaenicke sj+sunhelp at jaenicke.org
Tue Mar 8 04:02:33 CST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:10:53PM -0800, Sonam wrote:
[..]
> I installed the sendmail 8.12.11 package onto my
> Solaris 7 server. I then updated the sendmail.cf by
> putting DSmailrelay so that all mail will go through

Don't edit the .cf files directly, always use m4.

> mailrelay (this was the setup in the Sun version of
> sendmail). However when I try to send mail, it uses
> 127.0.0.1 to send the mail and NOT mailrelay. Here's
> the message:
>
> Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay
>
> Has anybody come across this issue? How can this be
> fixed. Thanks in advance.

Beginning with sendmail 8.12, you'll need to run two sendmail
instances, see sendmail/SECURITY:

# MTA, uses /var/spool/mqueue
/PATH/TO/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q1h

# "client", uses /var/spool/clientmqueue
/PATH/TO/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m

"Sending mail" means submitting it to the "client", which
will then transmit the message to the MTA via 127.0.0.1 by
default. In case your MTA doesn't listen on 127.0.0.1,
("grep DaemonPortOptions sendmail.cf"), you can change this
in the submit.mc file (and create a new submit.cf afterwards).

- Sebastian
--
Sebastian Jaenicke
Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.