[SunHELP] Poor Performace when running Oracle 9i on Solaris

Tige D. Chastain tdchastain at insightbb.com
Wed Jul 20 02:28:12 CDT 2005

The problem is not your hardware, rather the lack of understanding why
Oracle is spending so much time during the import of the data.

If you are using Oracle's export/import tool, you need to understand
what kind of objects you are importing and sequence them properly.  I
use a stepped import process that first imports table structures
(ROWS=n) and PL/SQL objects without verifying relational integrity.
Then run in the rows in a second export.  Then run a script to enable
all constraints without validation.  Also, make sure you do NOT import
statistics of a database, as they are useless - you need to either
calculate or estimate your own statistics (I HIGHLY recommend estimate -
see Oracle tuning docs for why) for the schemas.

If you follow these general guidelines, you will find Oracle performs
just fine on V880s.

It sounds like you are new to Oracle and how it operates.  If that is
the case, I HIGHLY recommend you get ahold of a qualified Oracle DBA to
assist in performance tuning issues.  Oracle can be a great DBMS if you
know to how care and feed it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Tige